Eating out is fun, social and a great way to spend time with your family and friends. Sometimes eating out is based on necessity - maybe you are too busy or just don’t feel like cooking. We've all been there!
Whatever your reason is for eating out, follow these simple tips to keep your discipline.
- Only eat half of your meal and bring the other half home
- Enjoy a salad while others eat appetizers
- Order salad dressings and sauces on the side
- Request lemon, vinegar or balsamic instead of salad dressing
- Avoid butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, bacon, cheese
- Choose steamed veggies instead of sautéed
- Substitute vegetables or sweet potato instead of white potatoes or fried
- Watch out for fried, deep-fried, golden fried, battered, etc.
- Avoid fast food
- Eat out sparingly!
Avoid: alfredo, cream sauces, parmigiana, stuffed with cheese, butter with bread, extra grated cheese
Better Choices: grilled, marinated, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato sauce, light red sauce, wine sauce, white or red clam sauce
Avoid: cashews or peanuts, pork, fried or deep-fried, crispy, sweet & sour, MSG
Better Choices: vegetables, seafood, chicken, shrimp, pineapple, soy sauce, plum sauce, Chinese mustard, light wine sauce, lobster sauce, non-animal fat oil or hot/spicy peanut oil
Avoid: sour cream, guacamole, cheese, chorizo, bacon, cream sauce, tortilla, crispy shell, tortilla chips, fried, deep- fried, refried beans
Better Choices: vegetables, sliced avocados, salsa, black beans, enchilada sauce, mole sauce, soft tortilla, pico de gallo, grilled, fajitas, marinated, soft tacos
Avoid: cheese, blue cheese, bacon, sausage, butter, mayonnaise, fried or deep-fried, bread crumbs, dressings
Whites – white bread, white flour, white sugar, hydrogenated oil
Better Choices: stir-fried, fajitas, blackened, Cajun, fresh lemon, mustard, honey-mustard, jalapeños, barbequed, roasted, poached, steamed, grilled, marinated, char-broiled